[free-sklyarov] _Alice_ read aloud

Joe Barr joe at pjprimer.com
Fri Aug 24 20:46:58 PDT 2001

He can copyright Alice in Wonderland because he used a new font?

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:45:27 -0700
"Christopher R. Maden" <crism at maden.org> wrote:

> The publisher of the Adobe eBook edition of _Alice in Wonderland_ posted
> this explanation to The eBook Community mailing list, forwarded without
> permission and without comment:
>
> >To: ebook-community at yahoogroups.com
> >From: pete at suba.com
> >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:55:15 -0600
> >Subject: [ebook-community] RE: Various
> >
> >[Michael Hart's WEB-LAW reference to the Anti-DMCA Index]
> >"26. Number of restrictions placed on 'Alice in Wonderland' (public domain)
> >eBook:  5
> >
> >I guess I would like to reiterate that this version of Alice is not public
> >domain but is a unique new work and copyrightable. My work on recapturing
> >Carroll's exact typography and design was probably more exhaustive than his
> >original work. It's copyrighted for that reason. But since the original
> >work involved far more than just typography, I give it away as a tribute to
> >Carroll's contribution. Since my work can't easily be detached from
> >Carroll's in this form, my copyright gives me the right to control its use,
> >but I keep it open. I certainly did not ask that the "Read Aloud"
> >restriction be set on it, and Adobe has said that it was an accident in
> >this case.
> >
> >Peter Zelchenko (pete at suba.com) Chicago, Illinois

# More dead people have written in support of Microsoft against the #
# DOJ than any other single group, leading UMSA (United MS Shills   #
# of America) President Steve Barkto to lodge a formal complaint.   #