[free-sklyarov] New article.

Kurt Foss kfoss at planetpdf.com
Thu Aug 30 11:52:13 PDT 2001

>If I'm not entirely mistaken, both Dmitry and Alex Katalov - the executive
>of Elcomsoft - were at DEFCON. If the FBI had wanted Elcomsoft in the first
>place, they could have cuffed Alex.

The focus on Dmitry Sklyarov *appeared* to be based in considerable
part on the belief (of Adobe and FBI) that he was the copyright
holder of Advanced eBook Processor. That appeared to be the case from
viewing the splash screen of the first release of the product, the
one purchased by Adobe. However, even the documentation for v.1.0
stated that "All copyrights to AEBPR are exclusively owned by
ElcomSoft Co. Ltd." The subsequent release of AEBPR indicates the
latter on the splash screen as well.

We wrote about this a couple days after the arrest at:

http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=1546

They had the opportunity in Las Vegas to arrest up to four DEF CON
Nine attendees from ElcomSoft, including both Alex and Vladimir
Katalov.

rgds ~ Kurt
Planet PDF - A world of Acrobat/PDF news, tips, tools and forums
mailto:kfoss at binarything.com | mailto:kfoss at planetpdf.com
http://www.binarything.com/ | http://www.planetpdf.com/
BinaryThing.com - The ePublishing Network