[free-sklyarov] Re: Continuing the fight

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Mon Dec 17 04:31:04 PST 2001

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I did not know that this was a plea bargain--I heard that charges had
> been dropped.  That puts it in a very different light: he has done
> harm to others that far exceeds the harm he has avoided for himself.
> I won't claim I would have done better, since I have never been in
> that situation--but the question of how strong I am is beside the
> point.  Sklyarov had a duty to resist, and he failed in his duty.
>
> It appears that another consequence is that he will be unable to help
> our movement by speaking.  In effect, he has defected.

Ah, Richard, the situation is not what you think it is.  Neither the
formal legal situation, nor the tactical situation.  Please study the
documents in the case, and talk with Dmitry's lawyer, Elcomsoft's lawyer,
and the legal team of the EFF.

> At this point, the only thing left for us to do is to push hard to
> punish Adobe--so hard that anyone will think twice before daring to do
> this again.  Sklyarov is no longer a cause celebre, but we can make
> Adobe a cause celebre if we work at it.
>
> So who is for a loud boycott and picketing of Adobe?  Will the EFF
> spearhead it?  The EFF has concentrated on action in court, and that
> approach was worth trying--but it has been almost exhausted, and has
> failed.  I hope they will not shrink from joining a different kind of
> action now.

Yes.  We must redouble our efforts.  We pushed Adobe back a little, and we
helped free Dmitry.  Now to roll back the DMCA and stop the SSSCA.

Dmitry is free!

Free the United States of America!

Raise the Black Flag of Anarchy^W^W^W^W^W^WUse GNU!

oo--JS.