[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Rich Bodo rsb at ostel.com
Thu Jul 19 17:22:01 PDT 2001

> > Book burning == bad in most people's minds.  This is about the
> > opposite of book burning -- book reading.

TRUE.

> Book burning is a powerful image. One could claim that turning
> a book into an eBook is the same as burning it. Either way
> people could be losing access to the ideas in the book.

Also TRUE.  Peaceful protestors regularly stage dramatic events that
mimic the actions of irresponsible corporations all the time.  It's
very effective at getting news coverage and putting the actions being
protested in the most negative light.  It's also a little more ballsy
and hardcore and less people are likely to want to do it.  In general,
very hard to pull off with a positive effect.  It could work.

Thing is, how do you mimic adobe?  Wear adobe T-shirts?  I can think
of one dramatization along these lines that didn't mimic anyone.  I
absolutely hated flag-burning, but I have to admit they got a court
case out of it and won.

The idea had an initial appeal to me, but after consideration it has
evaporated.  Unless someone can think of a safe and effective way to
put a positive spin on it, I have to agree with Don and suggest that
people steer clear of book burning.

> > Please don't set anything on fire.  And in all other things, please
> > be polite and on your best behavior.

We definitely wouldn't want to step outside the parameters
of event organization.  That is exactly how to screw up a meaningful
protest.

> On the other hand, "eBooks burned outside Adobe Headquarters" might
> interest a few readers.

I think that particular headline would harm the cause.  Especially for
the majority of people who skim papers.  Where these types of protests
work as news is on TV with video and commentary.  I imagine they also
shock the hell out of the people they are mimicing.  Maybe a Book
Dousing would avoid that particular headline but have enough weird
appeal to make it to the headlines all the same.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb at ostel.com | 650-964-4678