[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Michael C. Smith maxomai at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 19 17:27:05 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:22:01PM -0700, Rich Bodo wrote:
> > Book burning is a powerful image. One could claim that turning
> > a book into an eBook is the same as burning it. Either way
> > people could be losing access to the ideas in the book.
>
> Also TRUE.  Peaceful protestors regularly stage dramatic events that
> mimic the actions of irresponsible corporations all the time.  It's
> very effective at getting news coverage and putting the actions being
> protested in the most negative light.  It's also a little more ballsy
> and hardcore and less people are likely to want to do it.  In general,
> very hard to pull off with a positive effect.  It could work.

Heh...old protesters call this Guerilla Theatre...basically it would
be a short demonstration of what the offender is doing, and taking it
to an extreme.

For example: Someone shouts, "Look, you can read the back of this
cerial box with this secret decoder ring!" Immediately the FBI tackles
and beats the person. Stage blood flies everywhere. Congressman with
cigar: "This might look heavy handed to you, but we've got to stop
those evil hackers from breaking corporations' secret codes!" Applause
from the CEO of Adobe.

A similar idea: print up pamphlets to pass out. Printed backwards:
"If you can read this sentence, you might be committing a felony."
Then go on to explain what DMCA does and why it hurts free expression
(all in regularly printed text, of course!)

Mike Smith