[free-sklyarov] Champaign-Urbana a SUCCESS

Fred Gray fegray at npl.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:56:07 PDT 2001

Hi,

I'm happy to report that our educational protest this morning down in
Champaign-Urbana was a success beyond my wildest expectations!  There were 11
of "us" there at various points between 11:00 and 1:00.  I think the maximum
number at any one time was 8.  I'm sure we set the record for largest fraction
of the area population at an anti-DMCA protest, for what it's worth. :-)
(There are 179,669 of us according to the 2000 census.)

We handed out flyers and said a few words to about 200 people.  We had detailed
conversations with about 20 to 30 people, most of whom were quite sympathetic.
We used one locally-made flyer, and also Ben Fry's "About the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act" flyer (many thanks to Ben!).

We took a group picture, and I'll try to get it on the Web sometime soon.
I also plan to send the picture to our Congressional delegation.
This might be a good thing to do as a general practice for each rally: a
picture can show that there are real honest-to-gosh human beings behind the
letters that they're getting flooded with.

A reporter from the local public radio station, WILL, came by and interviewed
several of us.  He said that they would probably run a story on their
afternoon newscasts today.  Maybe we'll make the local break on "All Things
Considered": that would be pretty cool.

Thanks very much,

-- Fred Gray

*** FREE DMITRY SKLYAROV *** http://www.freesklyarov.org ***