[free-sklyarov] Counter-Terminology

Benjamin Krueger roo at ufies.org
Mon Jul 30 17:52:21 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:33:46AM +0200, marek jedlinski wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:30:00 -0500, James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) wrote:
>
> >   >>>Crippled media" gets my vote. It's more
> >   >>>suggestive than the above two, and
> >   >>>most people who've ever looked for
> >   >>>shareware on the net will be familiar
> >   >>>with the term "crippleware".
> >
> [...]
> >Are we attempting to find a term that technoids will understand?
>
> I think not, they probably already do.

Don't be so quick to assume. I've already talked to far too many techs who
either don't understand, don't care, or aren't willing to take the time to
listen. "It doesn't affect me, so why should I care about some russian
cracker?" is the typical response.

"He cracked a crypto system? Let him fry" is another. Even the people you
would think understand, don't. Consider that when looking for a new term as
well.

Benjamin Krueger
roo at ufies.org
Seattle, Wa