[free-sklyarov] Re: Fair Use is a Balance?

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at realmeasures.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 8 18:51:44 PDT 2001

(More good analysis from dvd-discuss at eon.law.harvard.edu list)

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:52:17
From: Michael.A.Rolenz at aero.org

Quite right. The issue is not how digital rights managment allows them
to keep the same rights but without the proper safeguards (as John Z,
and Jeme and a few others have pointed out) allows them capabilities
outside those rights (repudiation).

I think Prof. Litman has the right idea. The issue here is not how to
keep what we have. the issue is now what do we need to go back to
striking a balance between the technology we have and the copyright
system. Creating a technological totalitarian state dedicated to the
preservation of intellectual property rights is one way to go happily
into extinction but not one that I would recommend.

Scott A Crosby <crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu>
Sent by: owner-dvd-discuss at eon.law.harvard.edu
09/24/01 08:31 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss