[free-sklyarov] Protect Your Rights with Encryption

Michael D. Crawford crawford at goingware.com
Fri Oct 26 17:36:17 PDT 2001

Friends,

Today the President signed into law the new antiterrorism bill, a
sweeping assault on the civil liberties of every citizen.  It is also
a sweeping assault on the rights of innocent immigrants, allowing the
government to hold immigrants in jail without charge, a clearly
unconstitutional provision.

Now, more than ever, it is important for you to learn to use
encryption software.  I recommend the international version of PGP,
which you can obtain for free from:

http://www.pgpi.org/

You can rest assured that the government's internet wiretapping
systems will sweep up legitimate communications from completely
innocent people.  Written a love letter lately? Do you want the FBI
reading it?  Hope it wasn't steamy.

We also have a tremendous need to be concerned about espionage
against those who are working for legitimate political change.  Quite
aside from terrorism, there are people running for publicly elected
office who have reason to fear.  Who's ever heard of that? you ask.
Well, consider for a moment that a dark, antiamerican group with the
name "the Democratic Party" was working for political change in the
Watergate Hotel when Nixon's plumbers broke in to tap their phones.

For more information about why you should use encryption, how to use
it, why encryption is important to all of us, and where to find
quality encryption software, please read my article "Why You Should
Use Encryption" at:

http://www.goingware.com/encryption/

Note that this message is digitally signed to ensure that it was
authentically written by myself.  Once you have PGP, you can use its
key management facility to retrieve my public key from a keyserver.
Look for key ID F7605786.  I have that key ID printed on my business
card to encourage others to send me encrypted mail.

Now we must all work together to see that this law is fought in the
courts, and to vote out of office those elected officials who voted
for it.

Please forward this message to anyone who may benefit from it.

Thank you

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford at goingware.com

    "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
     out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
     be in doubt, but don't be gagged."
     -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations"
        http://www.goingware.com/reputation/