[free-sklyarov] FIJA - fully informed juries

Martin Baker martinb at kemokid.com
Sun Oct 28 00:26:44 PDT 2001

I recently ran across this organization, FIJA, the Fully Informed Jury
Association:

http://www.fija.org/

See especially the Jurors' Handbook: A Citizens Guide to Jury Duty:

http://www.fija.org/juror-handbook.htm

They strive to educate Americans about their right when on a jury - their
duty even - to consider the law as well as the facts of a case. I think
this may have some bearing on the Sklyarov case, and any criminal
prosecution of the DMCA, since one part of the defense may be that the law
itself is unconstitutional or unjust. I would be an extremely happy camper
to see Dmitry go free because a jury declared that the DMCA is
unconstitutional. Two birds, one stone. Plus twelve more empowered and
politicized people.

We might want to distribute some of this material ourselves, especially at
the courthouse before jury selection (assuming the case goes that far),
invite FIJA representatives to speak at informational meetings, what have
you. I submit this as food for your thought.

Peace,
Martin