[free-sklyarov] Feature "rights"

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 14 19:21:56 PDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 08:15:18PM -0400, Xcott Craver (sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU) wrote:
> >
> > 	That is:  if you take away the fair use infringements, what's
> > 	in there that plain old ordinary copyright law wouldn't handle
> > 	just fine?
>
> An additional penalty for circumventing technical means ***strictly
> limited to actions resulting in infringement of copyright*** might be a
> fair compromise.

	This would be more like standard bans on "burglarious tools."

	But I wonder about the legislative approach.  The fact is that
	the entertainment industry gives lots of money to congresspeople.
	I am pessimistic about any fair compromise making it past them.

								Xcott