[free-sklyarov] Boycott Adobe: Call for Proposals

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 25 00:44:22 PDT 2001

on Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 08:59:20PM -0400, proclus at iname.com (proclus at iname.com) wrote:
> On 15 Sep, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >> Boycott Adobe should be kept ready in the event of a return to the
> >> boycott.  There is no reason to believe that Adobe will continue to
> >> play nice, and we need to be ready to rekindle the boycott in great
> >> strength at any time.
> >
> > Adobe are not playing nice.  I vote for reactivating the boycott.
>
> I definitely don't follow you here.  Adobe met the boycott demands, and
> so the boycott crew ended the boycott.  We supported them in that.  You
> should go back and read the messages from the first week.

You and I have a difference in position then.

I wasn't party to the initial discussion.  I didn't agree to the terms
of the initial boycott.  My impression is that Adobe has made motions to
create the appearance of distance between themselves and the Sklyarov
case without taking active steps to cause charges to be dropped against
Dmitry, to oppose the expansion of charges which now include Elcom, to
oppose generally criminal prosecution based on the DMCA, or to oppose
the DMCA.

Specifically, quoting from Adobe's FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200108/elco

   - we respect the grand jury's and federal government's role in
     prosecuting this case.

   - we are in complete agreement with the government's decision to
     prosecute the company, ElcomSoft

   - Adobe intends to cooperate fully with the government as required by
     law.

These three positions must change for me to be satisfied.  Other
individuals or organizations are welcome to follow their own council.

> If anyone feels strongly about not using Adobe software, GNU-Darwin
> will gladly aid them with free software alternatives.

I've stripped the one piece of Adobe software I had (acroread) and am
now using xdpf instead.

<...>

> Adobe's inaction on behalf of Dmitry, though deplorable, is not grounds
> for a renewed boycott IMHO, and it may even distract us from the
> objective of sending Dmitry home.  On the other hand, GNU-Darwin will
> return to the boycott in great strength, if Adobe backtracks from the
> original agreement.

First, I wasn't party to the initial discussion.  I have my own reasons
for calling a boycott.  I speak for myself.  Anyone who wishes to speak
with me is welcomed.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org