[free-sklyarov] [Fwd: Re: [free-jon] Thoughts on how to respond]

Martin Keegan mk at ucant.org
Fri Jan 11 12:19:47 PST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Seth Johnson wrote:

> Sklyarov at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow).  The only reason
> this might be somewhat ill-received is that Jon is a
> Norwegian citizen and so some people will say that his
> prosecution is a "purely internal affair" for Norway and
> Norwegians.  That's not a reason not to do it, of course.

In the UK we protested outside the US embassy for Dmitri[*].

I don't see how protesting at the Norwegian embassy would be different for
us or the Muscovites, though since you US people had Dmitri in the US,
it *will* be a departure for you.

My rationale goes something like this: if UK/US residents were to travel
to Norway, that would be inappropriate[**].  Protesting on one's home turf
about some wrong going on in foreign parts cannot be wrong (or at least,
cannot be wrong without condemning all the Apartheid protestors who ever
shouted on the streets of London).

Mk

[*] We stopped doing that out of courtesy after 11 Sep.
[**] in the European context, protesting by any European citizens in
Brussels or Strasbourg is probably Ok, too.