[free-sklyarov] Comment on Holling's bill

proclus realm proclus at iname.com
Fri Mar 22 16:55:50 PST 2002

Below you will find my comment on Senator Holling's bill, the so-called
Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act.  You can send your
comments to the Senate too.

http://judiciary.senate.gov/special/input_form.cfm?comments=1

Here is some good background.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0%2c1283%2c51245%2c00.html
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0%2c1283%2c51275%2c00.html
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51274-2,00.html

Senator Holling's proposed bill and it's cousin, the DMCA, are attacks on
American
rights.  For the profit of the depraved media industry, these laws
undermine
fair use, technological research and innovation,
free speech, academic freedom, and even science itself. The purpose of
copyright
law is to protect these values so that good people can
continue to make America great.  These laws would make criminals of such
people,
who are fine citizens and certainly voters.  Do not believe the cynical
lies of the
entertainment industry, who do not share such values.
Do not sell out our rights to the highest bidder.  Do not make criminals
of our best citizens.

Please send Hollywood back to California with empty hands.
Please protect our nation from their selfish scheme.  Repeal the DMCA, and
do
not pass on Holling's shameful proposal.

Sincerely,
Michael L. Love, Ph.D
Cornell University
Ithaca NY