[Seth-Trips] [Fwd: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- RICHARD DAWKINS, "IS SCIENCE A RELIGION?" APRIL 9]

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Apr 2 09:32:52 PDT 2001

Thanks, Sumana.

Richard Dawkins is an incredibly polemical evolutionary biologist who
may be best known for having coined the term "meme" and then having
applied it to a comprehensive critique of Western religions.

If you want to hear an old-school atheist lecture, here's an
opportunity.

It turns out that some other atheist evolutionary biologists think
Dawkins's work in evolutionary biology is bogus -- particularly the
"selfish gene", which is an incredibly powerful organizing concept in
Dawkins's adaptation of E. O. Wilson's sociobiology (a kind of
reductionist biology of social behavior).  _Too_ powerful, say some
scientists.

You can find out a lot more about Dawkins at

http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/

Many of his lectures are on-line, including an interesting one where
he compares religious faith and Tertullian (and Thomas Browne, if I
remember correctly) to peacocks.  He also had a lecture where he
fretted over the observation that most people's religious beliefs
don't diverge much from their parents; one commentator called that
concern "as old as Spinoza", and it's repeated by a religious
character in E. L. Doctorow's _City of God_, which I read last week
and which is an incredibly excellent novel.

In another lecture, which is no longer on-line, Dawkins made this
concern more explicit, and asked why babies are referred to as
"Christian", "Jewish", or "Muslim" before they can talk, when nobody
would dream of referring to them as "syndicalist", "trade unionist",
"social democrat", etc.

In an earlier version of this upcoming lecture, Dawkins made the
extreme claim that

	Although it has many of religion's virtues, [science] has none
	of its vices.

Wow!

----- Begin forwarded message -----

----- End forwarded message -----