[Seth-Trips] Mozilla not party, tonight (April 5)

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu Apr 5 14:14:17 PDT 2001

In recent memory there used to be a "mozilla.party" (pronounced
"mozilla dot party") to celebrate and then to commemorate the
anniversary of the release of the Mozilla browser source code as free
software.  (This is where all of the pretty Soviet propaganda
poster-style t-shirts with the large lizard cartoon and comments about
freedom or Party membership or something come from.)

You can find out about the history of this party at

http://www.mozilla.org/party/

It was always held at the Sound Factory, which is just about two
blocks from where I used to live.  So every time I walked by the Sound
Factory, I would think about how nice it is that I lived in a city
where hundreds of people would show up for a party to celebrate the
release of some source code under an open source license.  (Even
better, of course, was the RSA Patent Expiration party, where hundreds
of people showed up for a party to celebrate the expiration of a
patent on a cryptographic algorithm.)

Perhaps because of the collapse of some Internet startups, and the
associated belt-tightening in the local Internet company world, this
year there is not going to be a mozilla.party -- I guess it's the end
of an era.

However, some people (mostly Crackmonkey and Pigdog people, many of
whom, unlike myself, have actually _been to_ a mozilla.party) are
mourning the absence of the event this April, and celebrating instead
with their own "Mozilla not party", which I think should be written
"mozilla!party".

The Mozilla not party is this evening at Zeitgeist, a bar in the
Mission District where some people who like to drink and their friends
(I am in the latter category) like to go when they want to have geeky
symbolic events in the dark and write clever announcements about them.
Some people go to Zeitgeist for other reasons, but I wouldn't know about
that.

Anyway, I'm probably going to go to the Mozilla not party at
Zeitgeist.   It is at the corner of Valencia and Duboce in the City,
really near the 16th/Mission BART station and pretty near the Van Ness
Muni Metro station.  It's easy to walk to Valencia and Duboce from
either of those.

You can also walk from my apartment (which takes about half an hour)
or take a bus along Mission and get off where Mission turns and starts
to run north-south instead of logical east-logical west.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I