[Seth-Trips] Martin Hellman at SVLUG, Wednesday ([svlug@tgeller.com: [svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG meeting Wed, 7 November, 7 pm.: Marty Hellman (cryptography)])

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Tue Nov 6 11:12:18 PST 2001

I can't make it to this, but it should be fun.  I think Diffie is
speaking somewhere around here sometime around now, too.

----- Forwarded message from Tom Geller <svlug at tgeller.com> -----

From: Tom Geller <svlug at tgeller.com>
To: svlug-announce at svlug.org
Subject: [svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG meeting Wed, 7 November, 7 pm.: Marty Hellman (cryptography)
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 10:41:38 -0800

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of SVLUG, this coming Wednesday.

WHEN:
  Wednesday, 7 November, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
  Martin E. Hellman
  Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering
  Stanford University

ABOUT:
  In his 1976 paper that introduced public key cryptography
  ("New Directions in Cryptography"), Whit Diffie and Dr.
  Hellman wrote: "We stand today on the brink of a revolution
  in cryptography." As with most revolutions, there was also
  an evolutionary process that culminated in the revolution.
  That evolutionary process is easier to see in hindsight, and
  will be the subject of this talk. The talk also gives credit
  to some of the individuals whose work is often overlooked,
  but whose contributions were clearer to those of us working
  in the early days of the field.

MORE ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
  Martin E. Hellman was a researcher at IBM's Watson
  Research Center from 1968-69 and an Assistant Professor at
  MIT from 1969-71. He returned to Stanford in 1971, where he
  served on the regular faculty until becoming Professor
  Emeritus in 1996.
    Prof. Hellman is best known for his invention, with Diffie
  and Merkle, of public key cryptography. Prof. Hellman has
  also been a long-time contributor to the computer privacy
  debate, starting with DES' key size in 1975 and culminating
  with service (1994-96) on the National Research Council's
  Committee to Study National Cryptographic Policy, many of
  whose recommendations have since been implemented.
    Prof. Hellman also has a deep interest in the ethics of
  technological development, and has received several honors
  in this field. He has been involved with a number of
  high-tech startups over the last twenty-five years, serving
  as a founder, advisor, and investor. In his spare time, he
  enjoys people, soaring, and hiking. He and his wife of 33
  years, Dorothie, reside on the Stanford campus.

WHERE:
  Cisco Building 9.
  The land of NUMBERS. The VINEYARDS conference center.
  The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
  where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.
  http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml
  If you have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team
  know! web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:
  It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise
  there may not be someone posted at the door to let you in.
    After the speakers end their presentation there is usually
  a Q&A session, time for job seekers and employers to meet,
  and often a few door prizes.
    When the meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit,
  but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
  worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty
  of time to chat outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--

          Tom Geller  *  San Francisco * tgeller.com
 Speaker Coordinator, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (svlug.org)