[Taocow PBEM] Chapter IX - In The Ruins Of Old Chicago RE-REVISED

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 16:25:12 BST 2006

[OOC]
Alright, fixed that up.  Pertinent paragraph is:

Not waiting for any more responses, Osiris whistles.  His steed
comes running up from a dark alley way where it had been hiding,
and he mounts it.  He begins riding eastward, moving with surprising
speed and agility over the snow-covered street.  He looks back.
"Come on!"
[/OOC]

> [Ted]
> "Lady Frost, I know a thing or two about blowing things
> up. If the rest of you want to escape, I can set this thing
> to explode and then catch up. It would not be that hard,"
> Ted intones. "I think we owe it to your friends--Kyle, Rod
> and the others--get keep on the mission."
>
> He hoists his rifle to his shoulder and waits for the others
> to decide.

> The Coalition ranger replies, "An explosion might attract
> their  attention again. I suggest  that in spite of the
> weather, we get moving as fast as we can. I have trained
> in weather like this. Don't like it but it is survivable"
> [/Alex]

> [Talas]
> "I Agree with Lady Alex. If we what out the storm we will
> be leaving tracks when we do leave. If we go now we
> should be able to get a good distence from hear before
> the snow is that deep."
>
> "What say the rest of up?"
> [/Talas]

> [Angelica]
> "At the risk of capture, perhaps we should rest for the
> night and begin travel early in the morning." Angelica
> says looking down at the rest of the group.
> [/Angelica]

> [Bongo]
> "As much as I don't like the idea," Bongo mutters as he
> checks out and mounts his bike, "I know all too well what
> to expect from our boys in black out there if we're
> caught... and if we stay here that's sure to happen.  Let's
> just hope that whatever nasties are out there have better
> sense than us to stay out of the weather."
> [/Bongo]

> [Lady Frost]
> "I can probably cover our tracks fairly well.  This is snow
> after all.  If a boom isn't in order, let's get out of Dodge
> instead."
>
> Frost positioned herself at the back of the group and began
> using her powers to fill in their tracks as they moved.
>
> "Let's just not 'get' too fast, or I'll miss places."
> [/Lady Frost]

[Osiris]
Osiris nods his assent.  "I say we make for a way out of
this town.  We need to go east.  That's the key to this."

Not waiting for any more responses, Osiris whistles.  His steed
comes running up from a dark alley way where it had been hiding,
and he mounts it.  He begins riding eastward, moving with surprising
speed and agility over the snow-covered street.  He looks back.
"Come on!"
[/Osiris]

[GM]
The weather progressively gets worse.  Within a half an hour, it seems
almost like night.  Every once in a while, the sound of an aircraft
can be heard overhead, but the fact that the company isn't accosted
suggests the weather is making infrared detection useless.

Old Chicago stretches on for miles and miles.  Ley lines criss cross
it like a mystical grid.  The snow can't hide every sign of battle,
particularly as the company makes their way past nexus points.
Bizarre bones, ruined machinery and bits of Deadboy armor do a good
deal to demonstrate the dangers of this place, and perhaps suggest
that an evil like the Coalition does do some good by keeping the
supernatural at bay in this place.

It's just an hour before dusk, or at least so the chronometers
suggest, when suddenly off to their left there are three explosions.
There's an unholy roar, and lightning tears through the snow-filled
sky.

Osiris's horse suddenly rears, neighing frightfully and then kicking
at something.  A body goes flying, and when it lands, it seems
familiar to at least some of the company.  It's a small humanoid with
pale skin, white hair and enormous white eyes.  It wears only a loin
cloth, but laying beside it is a strange, crooked grey staff that
looks like it is made out of the branch.

Bongo's keen hearing can pick up dozens of feet moving all around the
company.

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com

Palladium Rifts PBEM:
http://members.shaw.ca/selfreferential/rifts_pbem/