[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XII - Through The Looking Glass Once Again

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:09:15 BST 2007

> [Ted]
> The lizard man claps his hands as the ballad ends. "It is a shame
> Prince Akirax has gone on," he laments. "I would have liked to meet a
> hero of his caliber. Perhaps his countrymen could escort us to pay
> homage at his grave someday soon. In the meantime, however, I am
> curious about this Rath-Iren. I have heard the name before, but...
> What is this place?"

Bruth looks away as Ted mentions the name, but no one else seems
to have a strong reaction one way or the other.  The Prince, a bit more
friendly now after having consumed a couple of glasses of wine, seems
willing to fill him in.

"It's just a legend, really." the Prince says.  "Passed down since the
age of the Apocalypse.  You can believe it or not as you like, though
the likes of Bruth will insist that it is true.  At any rate, it is said that
the Reaver once ruled a great multidimensional kingdom, and that it
was centered on some astrological complex known as Rath-Iren,
which, according to the legends, was situated somewhere far to the
south of here.

"The Reaver was apparently defeated by an old order known as the
House of the Wyrm.  They have a temple at Poughkeepsie dedicated
to some goddess they call She Who Has No Name.  There used to
be a fair number of people belonging to the House of Wyrm, though
their numbers have dwindled down to a few priests and supplicants."

"Quite frankly, I think that some imaginative story teller just wound
up some old legend from the south with the brief reign of the Reaver
for the purposes of delighting us with that song.  But again, ask
Bruth.  He's spent more time delving around the Royal Archives,
and is apparently on friendly terms with the High Priest of that
nameless goddess."

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com