[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XII - Through The Looking Glass Once

Kitsune kitsunefx at netzero.net
Wed Jun 13 20:32:44 BST 2007

Aaron Clausen wrote:
>>> [GM]
>>> "Looks like you'll meet my pa first!  He's the one in the armored
>>> truck!" he says proudly.  "You better call him Major Pournelle.  He's
>>> on 'official' business as he calls it."
>>> [/GM]
>>>

>> [Ted]
>> With utmost discretion, Ted checks the counter on his rifle's e-clip.
>> Should things turn ugly, he will be ready.
>> [/Ted]
>>

>> [Carlos]
>> Before the people arrive, Carlos will say to the boy, "Amigo, where
>> exactly are we?"
>> [/Carlos]
>>

> [GM]
> "That town over there is Fort Peters." the boy said.  "You're in the Kingdom
> of Poughkeepsie.  My pa says that it used to be part of a country or
> state or somethin' called New York.  It's so big it takes a day to ride from
> here to Fort Wansom.  I've never been there, but my friend Garth says
> you can see the ruins of Old New York.  I think he's probably lying, 'cause
> I don't think he's been further than Miller's Pond.  Here comes Pa!  I hope
> that lady friend of yours doesn't start a fight."
> [/GM]
>

>> [Alex]
>> Alex begins to slowly trundle towards the armored vehicle. While most of
>> her life was spend in more southern climes than this one, she has
>> trained extensively in winter environments and it does not really bother
>> her. Her body armor would protect her in the arctic circle anyway. She
>> simply hopes that this encounter does not go like several previous
>> encounters had
>> [/Alex]
>>

> [GM]
> Three of the riders surround Alex, while the other five move closer to the
> rest of the company.  The armored vehicle, a rather clunky-looking affair
> that probably had its beginning as some sort of truck, has a battered
> SAMAS rail-gun somewhat roughly attached to the roof.  No one on
> horses or in the vehicles is in any kind of uniform, though all have a
> red bar pinned to their chest.
>
> The door of the vehicle opens with a metalic scrape, and out hops a
> tall, wide-shouldered man who must weigh at least two hundred and
> fifty pounds, most of it muscle.  He has an energy rifle strapped to
> one shoulder, two pistols in holsters and a sword hanging from his
> belt.  He's wearing a wide-brimmed cowboy hat under which can be
> glimpsed a thick head of black hair.  His face is handsome and
> chisseled, and there is wariness but no malice in his eyes.
>
> He walks up to Alex, his hands at his sides.  "I am Major René
> Pournelle, head of the Poughkeepsie Watch." he says in a slight
> Quebecois accent.  "We saw you enter through... that entrance.
> Who are you and what are you doing here, and how precisely did
> you get here?  I see you have injured, so I suggest we get over
> these preliminaries quickly, so that we can get aid to them."

Alex goes ahead and takes off her helmet, cold air immediately blasting
her wet red hair. While the armor maintains a constant temperature, the
stress and adrenaline are different to deal with. She looks into the
mans eyes for just a moment although not long enough to be a challenge.
She is too tired to banter and decided to simply tell him the truth.

The scout states, "My name is Alex Hawk, I am a wilderness scout. I will
let my companions introduce themselves. We were being chased by
Coalition Borgs. That 'portal' seemed to be only way out so we took it.
Otherwise, we don't really know how we got here or even where hear is."

some who do not understand mystery speak of things which they do not
understand, but they will boast that the mystery of the truth belongs
to them alone.
- Gnostic Saying

Kitsune
Email:     kitsune at addr.com or kitsunefx at netzero.net