[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XVI - Into The Southlands

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon May 5 21:16:17 BST 2008

> > [GM]
> > The arrow strikes the remaining sniper's armor and explodes, throwing
> > him several feet.  When he comes to rest he begins scrabbling awkwardly
> > for a doorway.
> >
> > Back inside the semi-collapsed building, the other sniper, bereft of
> > weapon (which lies somewhere in the wreckage) puts up his hand and says
> > in an odd, thick accent "Surrender I."
> >
> > Above there is a loud cry and suddenly a black, pterodactyl-like
> > creature sweeps down towards the ruined house and at Lady Frost.  Lady
> > Frost hears the unearthly cry in time to see this monstrous thing
> > approaching her, black talons stretched out like some giant featherless
> > eagle ready to catch its prey.
> > [/GM]

> [Koba]
> As the large bird swoops in on the building, Koba will try to get a shot
> at it with the rifle [Strike: 18].
> [/Koba]

[GM]
The shot hits the creature [Damage: 10MD].

> Ted ducks down into the undergrowth. As soon as the pterodactyl leaves, he
> makes his way to the boat.
> [/Ted]

> [Talas]
> Upon seeing the pterodactyl-like creature, Talas takes aim at it and lets
> loose another burst form his rail-gun. [Strike: Natural 20!].
> [/Talas]

[GM]
The railgun burst hits the creature dead-on [Damage: 32MD], clearly doing
damage, ripping its flesh.  Black blood pours out and the creature screams
in pain.  It's descent slows as its beats its wings.  One wing is clearly
beating much more slowly than the other.

> Alex will work towards retreating towards the boat if possible. She
> states, "I think it is time that we leave."
> [/Alex]

[Osiris]
"I agree." Osiris says.  "Caution is the better part of valor, they say, and
we can do much more good by surviving."
[/Osiris]

> [Lady Frost]
> "Why am I not surprised they have dinosaurs?"  Glancing down at her new
> prisoner, she points at him.  "Stay."
> [/Lady Frost]

[GM]
The sniper merely nods, grimacing in pain.
[/GM]

> [Lady Frost]
> Crouching lower, Frost lifts her hands and tries to create a barrier of
> ice between herself and the fast approaching creature.
> [/Lady Frost]

[GM]
The ice-shield is only partially created when the pterodactyl-thing crashes
into it.  For the briefest moment Lady Frost catches the eyes of this
terrible thing, black like obsidian orbs, save for a faint pale light in
them.  She feels its malice like a hammer crashing down on her.

Then the creature beats its wings with tremendous force, its foul-smelling
blood pouring all over the ground.  It lifts up and is away, flying into the
south.
[/GM]

[Osiris]
Osiris calls out "Are you alright, Amanda?  We need to go now, before that
thing, or maybe something worse, returns."  With that Osiris heads for the
boat.

"Let's not forget our prisoners!" he says as he limps quickly.
[/Osiris]

OOC: I'm going to move on here.  If Lady Frost or anyone else has anything
further she wants to do, please do insert it.  Lady Frost, at least, has a
prisoner to deal with.

[GM]
The soldiers salute Sia as she approaches the boat.  A man in slightly
different uniform comes up.  Sia doesn't recognize him, but he's clearly a
member of the small kingdom's rather small navy.

"I'm Captain Ludwig." the man says.  "My orders are to get you as far south
as we can.  I can get you as far as Port Vile, our farthest river outpost to
the south.  After that, you're on your own.  We'd best get going, too."

As soon as everybody is stowed away, the crew casts off.  One crew member, a
pale-skinned and thin-faced man in a thick beard keeps glancing at the crew,
but in particular, at Talas, as the boat glides away.

The river is filled with wreckage, some of it still burning, and the boat
has to take it slow.  After a few miles the wreckage decreases, but only to
be replaced by thick clouds.  Within ten minutes snow is falling, and the
air is chill.  Despite this most of the crew remains on deck to keep watch.

After about three quarters of an hour, the small island that had been seen
when the company had been going to see the king comes into view.  The great
iron statue of the wolfen becomes briefly visible.  Sia recognizes it as the
Tomb of Akirax, the wolfen hero of the kingdom.  To step on it is forbidden,
and it is said to hold enchantments against any demon.

The island is now rapidly approaching and will be passed by in a moment...

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com