[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XVI - Into The Southlands

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:58:45 BST 2008

OOC: Sorry about the longer delay.  Spent yesterday catching up on overdue
work.

> > OOC: From
> > http://www3.telus.net/public/mojo214/taocow_rifts_pbem/archives/part_2_chapter_x.html

> > [GM]
> > It is the cyberknight Osiris which currently possesses Bongo's
> > belongings!

> "Koba!" Ted yells through the opening. "We need Osiris. Will you fetch him
> for us?"
> [/Ted]

> [Koba]
> Noting that Ten didn't notice that he had followed them down, he gives a
> gentle tap on Ted's shoulder. Koba simply states "Sure. And you don't have
> to yell when I'm right here. See if you can figure out what these words
> say, and I'll bring back the Cyber Knight." With that Koba heads back up
> the ladder to find Osiris.
> [/Koba]

> [Ted]
> "Oops. Sorry, Koba." Ted shakes his head as he watches the man go. After a
> moment, he turns his attention to the rest of the chamber.
> [/Ted]

> [Lady Frost]
> Having heard the yelling, Frost knew what Koba was up to before he even
> started climbing.
>
> "S'ok Koba.  I'm faster, and I'm already up here.  I'll go get Osiris for
> you.  Some kind of commotion going on over there anyhow."
> [/Lady Frost]

> [Koba]
> With the offer from Lady Frost, Koba returns down the ladder to see if he
> can make out anything in the room. While waiting for Osiris, he will
> document the room and symbols by taking pictures and uploading them into
> his field computer. Maybe someone will be able to identify them later if
> needed.
> [/Koba]

> [Ted]
> After a moment, the lizard man inquires whether Koba has found anything
> interesting while continuing to look around the room himself.

While Koba cannot read the language, his familiarity with demons and such
suggests that something about the writing.  It's in some sort of
hieroglyphic, and many of the glyphs seem to be quite suggestive of demons.
There are continuous repeatings of the symbol of an eye dripping blood,
which may be some sort of a warding symbol.

As to the chamber itself, it is quite smoothly hewn, as if by a machine.
The lights themselves seem to be small balls of glass inset into the
ceiling.  on the floor are some black marks; carbon and soot, probably from
the burning of candles or incense.

Even as Ted and Koba study the chamber, the floor begins to heave as if by a
violent earthquake.  The symbols on the wall of the bleeding eye light up
with the bright blue of mystical energy.

A loud voice booms out "Who dares disturb the slumber of Akirax!  And who
dares bring a demon on to this sacred ground!"
[/GM]

[Meanwhile on the boat...]

> [Sia]
> Sialillion looks down at the girl, quite taken aback.  She just zapped the
> mayor of Fort Peters's daughter.  Not good!  "Lady Louissa!  What on earth
> are you doing here!?  I nearly.. I was sure you were an agent of..."
>
> She trails off noticing all eyes on her and the girl she just blasted with
> her energy bolt.
>
> Gulp.
>
> "Medic!" she cries.
>
> She looks around guiltily.  "We're all jumpy...  when I saw her jumping
> towards the launch I was sure she was another agent of the Reaver." Then
> adds in a scolding tone to Louissa, "What are you doing sneaking aboard a
> military vessel anyway!?  Our kingdom is in flames, invaded by a host of
> demons, and you're chasing after your 'beloved'?" Sialillion is clearly
> flustered, and her stress and exhaustion are showing a chink in her
> normally cool and collected exterior.
>
> "What man is worth it, girl?  You should be with your father!  Your people
> need you!" As she speaks she undoes the girl's uniform to examine the
> extent of the damage her spell did, and rummages in her backpack for her
> mini first aid kit.
>
> "And which of you sailors," she adds, addressing the crew but not Talas or
> her other party members, "led this poor girl here to join us on this
> perilous journey?"
> [/Sia]

[GM]
The uniform show is badly singed, but it doesn't look too bad.  It could
have been significantly worse.

The crew look as surprised as Sia.  One of them mumbles "By She Who Has No
Name, a damned heiress here.  Her father'll have our heads for sure."

The girl looks at Sia defiantly.  "He's a hero, Lady Sialillion!" she says
firmly, pointing to Talas.  "He's going to save us all from the K'murd-faka.
That's why that miserable traitor Bruth attacked him.  I'm going to be by
his side when he does."
[/GM]

> > [Osiris]
> > "I believe that we are looking at Lady Louissa, heir of the Mayor of
> > Fort Peters, if memory serves." Osiris says, and then looks squarely at
> > Talas.  "But I'm sure your memory is much better than ours, Talas."
> > [/Osiris]

> > [Alister]
> > "This is a nice reunion," Alister says, "but I think we may want to
> > postpone the upcoming wedding until after we help our friends."
> > [/Alister]

> [Talas]
> Talas walks up to Louissa and puts out a hand to help her up. Once Louissa
> is on her feet Talas starts to speak.
>
> "Lady Louissa, I am Honored that you have chosen to help us. But I fear
> that this is no task for a novice. We have lost a good number of highly
> skilled and trained people already. If you look around you will see that
> Mr. Bongo is no longer with us." Talas pauses for a moment then begins
> again. "I know you wish to help, but if you feel the need to cry out from
> being struck by that small energy bolt then you are not yet ready to be
> here. Plus if you were to come with us I would be too worried about your
> safety to properly do my job. I know it is not what you wish to here, but
> the best way for you to help is for you to go back home were I will know
> that you are safe... I will return to you if I can." Talas then looks
> around the deck of the ship at the captain and the crew and then turn back
> to Louissa "besides if you were to stay here you have to stand for the
> crime of impersonating a member of the 'king's armed forces'. And I know
> you do not wish to spend time in prison for that. Do you?"
> [/Talas]

[GM]
The girl looks pleadingly at Talas.  "They'll have to lock me in a prison
cell.  I want to come with you, and if you won't take me, then I'll follow
behind.  Besides," she says, looking at Alex, "you've got some strong women
here.  Why not another?"
[/GM]

> [Lady Frost]
> Turning towards the water, Frost starts running in that direction,
> pointing forward to ice over the water in front of her as she ran.
>
> She causes her ice 'bridge' get as close to the ship and launch as
> possible without actually freezing either into place, then skated up and
> looked to see what was going on.
>
> "Problem guys?  They're saying they need Osiris."
> [/Lady Frost]

[GM]
Many of the crew look in awe as Lady Frost makes her ice bridge and crosses
over to the boat.  One of them makes a warding sign with his hand.  "She has
survived the island!  By the ghost of Akirax, maybe these are our saviors,
just like the lady over there says!"
[/GM]

[Osiris]
Osiris turns to Lady Frost.  "By all means take me back.  I don't know
whether they're about to deify us or crucify us at this point."
[/Osiris]

[GM]
Suddenly the crew begin shouting and pointing at the island.  The statue
seems to be swaying slightly, and then faster, and rocks are dislodging from
the cliff, some as big as small cars.  One just narrowly misses Lady Frost's
bridge.

Young Louissa gets to her feet with some effort.  "We'd better go help your
friends." she says as she grabs an energy pistol from her holster.

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com