[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XII - Journey to the Millennium Tree

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 19:36:37 UTC 2013

>>> [Alex]
>>> Without turning, Alex responds, "I don't have any answers here.
>>> The best I can do is try to keep the girl under control."
>>>
>>> Back to the demon child, "If you do anything I don't like, I will
>>> give into temptation from my dagger, don't let yourself think
>>> that concern for Ted will stay my hand."
>>> [/Alex]

>> [GM]
>> The child nods. She closes her eyes for a moment and then opens
>> them again.
>>
>> "It would appear," she says in a childish, and yet somehow very
>> ancient voice, "that Ted, indeed all of you, have a considerable
>> amount to be concerned about. I could be of assistance, if you put
>> away that dagger."

> Without verbalizing it, Alex thinks to herself and the dagger, 'I
> think I know what the demon fears most now.'
>
> She will radio, "She is under control for the moment."
> [/Alex]

> [Oz]
> Over the open radio channel, Oz relays the Splugorth reinforcements
> positions. "Bad guys have reinforcements on the way, including a pair
> of hovertanks." He keeps shooting, trying to pick off individual
> targets. [Strikes: 5, 22, 6]
 > [/Oz]

[GM]
Only one of Oz's shots hits a target; a Kydian running along the dam
[Damage: 120MD]. The Kydian drops to the ground and lays motionless.
[/GM]

> [Oz]
> Over the encrypted guard channel, Oz gives further orders to his
> sergeant. "Prepare to retreat. Get a driver down into each of those
> vehicles and get the engines started up. If those tanks get into
> firing position, order the men to pull out."
>
> He beams a laser communication signal at Jacek, trusting that the full
> conversion borg would have a laser comm receiver. "If those tanks
> start firing on us we're pulling out. I've got drivers moving to get
> the vehicles ready."
> [/Oz]

[Jacek]
"Agreed." Jacek replies. He and his men return fire, taking out a few
more Kydians.
[/Jacek]

[Ted]
Ted fires more bursts [11, 9, Natural 20!]. Two of the shots hit targets
[Damage: 20MD and 28MD]. The Kydians return fire, but miss wildly
[Strikes: 4 and 7].
[/Ted]

> [Vesper]
> Vesper looks to Oz, "Is our goal merely to break that dam ?"
> [/Vesper]

> [Oz]
> "Heavy weapons, check anti-personnel fire. Your new target is the dam.
> Blow it before those tanks get here. Scouts, if you're down near that
> ice, get the bloody hell out of there." Oz continued to focus on
> picking off individual Kittani, just like his riflemen.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
The heavy weapons train on the dam. Shot after shot hits the dam, and
its superstructure begins to visible disintegrate. The Splugorth Minions
seem to have figured out what the objective is, and all but the hover
tanks begin running towards the nearest shoreline, some towards the
company, some away from it.

The tanks return fire and one hits the heavy weapon emplacement on the
trooper carrier [Damage: 150MD], disabling it.

> Vesper uses the mystical energies to call up an Icestorm demon
> knowing it will be invisible in the snow. Instructing it to shatter
> the ice below the Kydians  and then move to brake the damn. It's
> allowed to use it's magic as well as physical might.

The demon itself is all but invisible, but a cold wind blows about it.
It races away towards the dam and the reservoir.

A few moments later, the ice in the lake begins to crack. Several
Splugorth minions fall into the water in full gear, disappearing below
the surface. The newly exposed water seems to boil, and the pressure
from whatever it is the ice demon is doing quickly takes its toll on the
damaged dam.

Three large cracks appear in the dam and water begins to spill through
them. The hover tanks, seeing the danger, suddenly turn and try to head
back to the farther shore.

And then the dam breaks, huge chunks of concrete and steel, many tons
apiece, simply crumble and collapse. At least a dozen minions disappear
into the wrack and ruin. The lake itself suddenly pitches forward and a
great wave sweeps the hovertanks away. The roar of rushing water is
deafening, and anyone caught in it would be swept away and pounded
mercilessly.

When the cataclysm is complete, the lake is gone. A muddy expanse
leading down to the original riverbed is all that is left, and only a
couple of bodies of Kydians can be seen. The central third of the dam is
completely gone.

But the worst devastation is below the dam. Where the Splugorth army was
just a few moments before is a vast lake of rushing water. The
Millennium Tree stands like as an island in a sea of chaos. Many of the
Splugorth minions have been swept away further downstream, perhaps a few
hundred are straggling in the current or crawling up the banks. Sadly,
it seems a few defenders were swept away, but it seems a fair enough trade.

As to the small pyramid that had been channeling the energy from the
rift, it has been knocked on to its side, and is glowing with a harsh
red light, and several Kydians around it can literally be seen melting
as the intense energies go wild and scorch the area around it.

A cheer rises up from the defenders of the Millennium Tree and they rush
ahead to pick off the remaining Splugorth troops.

Over the radio an excited voice shouts out "We thank you, whoever you are!"