[Taocow PBEM] [Oz] Book 3 - Chapter X - The Quest For Louissa

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:34:05 UTC 2013

>> [GM]
>> "Follow close." Jacek says. "This lantern's only good for ten feet or
>> so, and get twenty feet from that and you'll still be wandering around
>> this place when your grandchildren are in their death beds."
>>
>> Oz notices that a number of Jacek's men also have lanterns, putting
>> them at a distinct advantage over him and his guards. Looking to the
>> ground he sees one remaining lantern.
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Taking the lead of the locals, Oz moves to pick up this last lantern.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Jacek looks long and, well, long at Oz. The Borg is inscrutable behind
his cybernetic and emotionless eyes.

>> Off in the distance, though the direction is impossible to tell, they
>> swear they can hear railgun fire, and that's when one of Jacek's men
>> suddenly makes a funny sound like "GWAAHHHFFFF" as the top of his head
>> explodes, spewing blood and brains all over the place.
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> "Sniper!" Oz ducks and looks for cover, though at the same time he's
> wondering how  exactly a sniper could see through this murk.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Everyone drops to the ground, and Jacek's men instinctively flick the
safeties off on their weapons.

"Do not fire!" Jasek commands. "Those bullets might not have been for us."

After a few seconds there are no more shots, but there are some
distant sounds; one or more vehicles somewhere off in the distance,
and somewhat further away, though direction can't really be
determined, someone is shouting.

Jacek turns to Oz and speaks in Euro. "As I suspected. There is
fighting in the mists. Things do not travel in straight lines in this
anomaly. The bullets might have been fired a mile away and in the
opposite direction. Once any weapon's fire passes the limit of the
lanterns, its course cannot be predicted, so it is very wise not to
fire weapons."

Jacek does not wait for Oz, but stands up and orders his men to move.

It's at that moment that there's the loud sound of an engine, and
quite suddenly an ATV nearly runs Oz over before screeching to a halt.

mightymartianca at gmail.com