[Taocow PBEM] [Vesper, Alex, Oz and Ithdalkal] Book 3 - Chapter XIV - Belmont Abbey

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 19:22:25 UTC 2014

> [...]
>> of a rather odd building. It looks to have been
>> carved, or, considering the very smooth and rounded lines of the
>> building, possibly grown from living rock. It is a two story structure
>> with several doors and windows, none round or square and all at odd
>> angles and in strange shapes. A sign above what probably is the main
>> door (which is five-sided) is neon and announces it as "Keldon and
>> Sons Magic and Items of Interest". There appears to be no electrical
>> cable leading between the sign, which seems to float about six inches
>> of the wall of the building, and the building itself.
>>
>> Up and down the street people are quickly beginning to panic. Clearly
>> those that did not know of the invasion, now know there is one, likely
>> due to Alex's radio broadcast. A number of citizens, still putting on
>> their armor, are forming into a militia of some kind. There are no
>> Splugorth Minions in sight, but down the street a building is burning,
>> and tracers from gunfire can be seen in the evening sky. Still, it
>> presently seems contained to a single area of the town and hasn't
>> spread.
>>
>> Keldon pays little attention to what goes on around him. He bursts
>> through the door. Inside two D-Bees that look nearly identical to
>> Keldon are hastily throwing scrolls and various other items into a
>> number of odd, silvery boxes that ought to have, by now, been filled.
>>
>> Keldon is literally crying by this point. "Seventy years work done and
>> gone!" he says miserably. "Hurry up lads," he says to the two other
>> squiddish D-Bees. "If those Splugorth have any skill at all, they will
>> be able to at least get a general idea of where our friend's portal
>> took us."
>>
>> He turns back to Oz, Vesper and Alex. "You can have whatever you want
>> from this shop, providing you can grab it in about sixty seconds,
>> providing you take the three of us and the contents of these boxes
>> with us."
>>
>> The Archbishop, who has been hanging back, is outraged. "You'll accept
>> this... this shopkeeper's offer, but my offer is spurned?"
>>
>> The Sergeant radios Oz. "We're on board, sir. Mr. Smythe and Lady
>> Louissa are here. Awaiting your instructions."
>>
>> Quite suddenly the gun fire stops, and in its place sounds like the
>> heavy pounding of feet down the street.

> Vesper nodded and directed Alex and the others in what to take along
> especially since he was well versed in magic. "Not a problem Keldon,
> we will take you with us and hopefully to safety."
>
> Looking to the bishop, "You sold us out once, you might have some
> way to signal the splugorth or even have some tracking creature in
> your body. The splugorth practice strange magics and science. We
> will try and drop you off somewhere but keeping company with you
> after this when you could have worked with us to help protect your city.
> That was a personal choice."
>
> Vesper went to pick out some items as well from the shop.

The Arch-bishop seems pleased that Vesper has even consented to taking
him any distance.

> The Ex-Ranger responds, "I will help but I don't need much."
> If directed to help with anything, she is willing to help but otherwise
> is most concerned with the military situation.
>
> OOC: A few dimensional pocket, maybe a belt with pouches, would be
> useful but she would not know to ask. She does not know much about
> magic.

> Vesper would have pointed out what things were since he can sense
> dimensions even small ones like d pockets etc.  He certainly could
> have directed Alex towards them. In fact he would have quickly
> assessed what might be useful to the others and pointed those items
> out.
>
> OOC: Vesper himself will take one of the silver boxes and fill it with
> spell books.

> Alex will take what he suggests but otherwise is not real interested in
> gear, seems more preoccupied with getting everybody living and breathing
> to something like safety.
>
> Since she has a moment or two, she tells the archbishop, "I am from a
> place called the Coalition. They don't like people who practice magic as
> well as creatures like our magic shop owner. They will sometimes attack
> a town know to harbor them. In some cases, the two will turn them out so
> as to avoid the wrath of them. Never really respected villages who would
> do that."
> [/Alex]

> [Oz]
> Oz would happily take a magic dimensional pocket box and fill it with
> small, high value items to sell or barter in the future.
> [/Oz]

OOC: As I said, this is a reasonably well stocked magic shop. There
are spell books up to level eight for pretty much all the spells in
the main Rifts book. If you like, I can randomly pick out spells and
magical devices, or you can each pick a list of possible items and
I'll say yay or nay to them. But pushing on...

[GM]
The sergeant radios Oz again. "We're in the ship, Mr. Smythe and Lady
Louissa are here, but we don't have a way of piloting this thing to
you. Either you find the captain or some crew who can help, or I think
we've got to abandon this ship and get out of town. Waiting for
instructions sir."

At that moment there's a loud crash, probably coming from the shop
next door. Boots can be heard outside the shop  door.

mightymartianca at gmail.com