[CrackMonkey] [joabj@starpower.net: [Pigdog] Salon are wimp pussies]

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Jul 7 18:40:31 PDT 2000

	Okay, so apparently many people have already seen this one on
Wired somewhere, but I only just caught this meta-meta-meta-urban
legend blurb on Pigdog-l.

	For those of you using lynx, the best URL is
http://www.cardhouse.com/rocketcar/rockit.txt

	Man, I read the whole thing in one sitting, and now I
seriously need to take a piss.

----- Forwarded message from Joab Jackson <joabj at starpower.net> -----

With all due apologies to the fine and wonderful Pigdoggers who work
there (err Maj). But I just checked the new Wired magazine (aug issue)
and they ran, it its entirety, unedited, unemcumbered by stupid
speculation, the  Rocket Car story from cardhouse, i.e. one of the
greatest pieces of gonzo literature of the late 20th century.

I'm pissed at Salon because I remember last year, when Poor Dave
Cassel reported his butt off trying to verify it for a piece he
pitched to Salon.  I mean our intrepid Destiny called Arizona high
school, military camps, the works. But the wimpy Salon tech editor
just sniffed at his hard labors, saying Dave didn't have enough proof
and there was too many urban legends out there already and blah blah
blah. . .so better luck elsewhere, boy.  This iditor UTTERLY missed
the real point of the story--how powerful of a piece of writing it was
on its own behalf, whether or not some fact checker at Salon could
verify it.

Not that Wired isn't a bunch of wimp pussies either, but evidently
they know a good ride when they read one.

Rockethouse can best be enjoyed at Cardhouse btw:
http://www.cardhouse.com/rocketcar/

----- End forwarded message -----

Pigdog.Org      - The Online Handbook for Bad People of the Future
                You are not entitled to your opinions.