[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Mon Jul 10 20:19:38 PDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> begin  Seth David Schoen quotation of Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 04:09:04PM -0700:
>
> > That would create an interesting situation for telephone books.  "The
> > name of your business must be a standard positive real."  "But my
> > business is named with a fluxion!  I'm _way_ before all those other
> > folks."
>
> I hate to break it to you guys, but telephone books sort numbers by
> their representation in words.  Aaron's still got you beat.
>
> --
> Don Marti                                No haiku patents
> dmarti at zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to

Ah, that is the joke of non-stndard analysis.  This universe, looked at
through somewhat odd spectacles, or perhaps the lack of odd spectacles,
already contains the whole of the non-standard universe.

<chucklesnort>

"I am not a Standard Number!"

"Oh yes you are, I use Really High Order Logic done in the Lower Predicate
Calculus!"

Logician: "Mu"

</chucklesnort>

At this point I hoped to put in the standard quote from the Jargon File to
the effect that the Lower Predicate Calculus is the One True programming
language, but the copies I looked at on the net seem not to contain the
quote.  It is probably not part of the conspiracy that F section is not
there in Eric Raymond's version.

oo--JS.