[CrackMonkey] TNICNAZ, old chum!

Paul J Collins sneakums at eircom.net
Thu Jul 13 15:00:07 PDT 2000

    Bernard> 13Jul2000 09:32PM (+0100) From [sneakums at eircom.net] sneakums [Paul J Collins]
    >> Mind you, Murphy's is really a Cork drink, and drinking Murphy's in
    >> Dublin is not a step to be undertaken lightly.  It's not a big seller,
    >> so the beer sits in the kegs too long.

    Bernard> Murphy's (and Beamish) used to be big sellers in London because
    Bernard> the Guinness there was almost invariably complete crap (I'm told
    Bernard> that part of the reason is that pups tried to use the CO2
    Bernard> delivery system used for other "beers").  The other two stouts
    Bernard> seemed to travel and keep well.  Eventually (a few years ago)
    Bernard> Guinness got their act together and pubs started keeping the
    Bernard> stuff much better (comparable to what I've drunk in Dublin).

People I know have been to London and they didn't like the Guinness at
all.  The main problem is that it isn't pulled properly.

    Bernard> I've drunk Beamish in Cork city and it wasn't particularly
    Bernard> different from anywhere else.

Urgh, Beamish.  They use water from the Lee; have you seen the Lee
lately?  Disgusting.  Beamish has one virtue: it's cheap.  Luckily, I
can afford better.

    >> It's also difficult to find people who can pull a pint of stout
    >> correctly.  Not that I could, but I know when it's being done right.

    Bernard> In Zeitgeist "correctly" = they get it in the container and fill
    Bernard> it as much as possible.  The wait before the top-up is purely to
    Bernard> prevent wastage.  Being mostly antipodean bar staff you don't
    Bernard> expect a shamrock drawn in the head (thank goodness).

I expect the head of my pint to be smooth and free of bubbles.  If
there are bubbles larger than a pinhead, it's not good.  And the only
thing that will ever be drawn on the head of *my* pint is a smiley
face.  Shamrocks are for people who think they are Irish because their
great-great-grandfather was stepped over by an Irishman while lying
drunk in a gutter.

The wait before top-up is vital.

    >> Death is too good for people who drink stout before it has settled.

    Bernard> Sometimes you just can't wait for the first sip.  On hot

I can.

    Bernard> days I'll order two, and knock back one to quench my
    Bernard> thirst while I'm waiting for the second to settle.  The

If I'm too hot, I drink Miller.  Stout is not really a summer drink.

    Bernard> second I can drink as beer.  In Zeitgeist you just buy by
    Bernard> the pitcher (gasps of horror from the "true stout"
    Bernard> drinkers) and the vessel reduces the waiting time (two
    Bernard> pitchers being the ideal).

Pitchers for beer are very rare here, except possibly in "trendy"
pubs, where they define "trendy" as "it's been done in America".  They
overlook the fact that almost everything possible has been done in
America at one time or another.  When you live in a country of 3.5
million that would fit inside Lake Michigan, it's difficult to
appreciate how large and varied America is.

    Bernard> ...and no, I don't remember them stocking Murphy's at
    Bernard> Zeitgeist (however it is worth the trip for the
    Bernard> (non-Nick) Bastard).

Hmm.  A friend of mine is in SF at the moment.  I'll see if he will go
along as my emissary.

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD