[free-sklyarov] RE: [NotDmcaLa] Long term thoughts [was: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Keith Handy keith at indierecords.com
Wed Aug 1 08:46:55 PDT 2001

From: "Victor Piterbarg" <free-sklyarov at happycool.com>
To: <free-sklyarov at zork.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 00:05:15 -0700
Subject: [free-sklyarov] RE: [NotDmcaLa] Long term thoughts [was: Sen.
Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

> It would be great if it was that easy! However, I don't think the artists
> you speak of are all that valuable to the corporations. Look at the BIGGEST
> bands of the recent times. Britney Spears, N'Synch, Backstreet Boys. These
> artists are manufactured by the record labels. These are the "artists" that
> make the most money FOR the corporations. And I think that if we approached
> Britney Spears with eloquent anti-DMCA arguments, the best we could hope for
> is a shiny smile or a giggle.

True, but think of it this way: if you could at least raise awareness
among the minority of music fans who have some semblance of critical
judgement, you've just doubled our support base.  Add in the same size
base of independent-minded readers of every genre, you've tripled it.
The point is, we may be a minority, but we're a smaller minority than
need be if we limit the voice to computer programmers.

-Keith