[free-sklyarov] Another ebook "processor"

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Sat Aug 18 22:15:35 PDT 2001

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Bob Smart wrote:

> Ummm...no, PUBLISHERS get the income.  Authors get pennies, publishers get
> the real money.  And yet, inequitable as that system is, writers continue to
> write.

	That's a great response to have ready, when we hear the claim
	that, "maybe artists will stop creating new work if they can't
	make a buck."  Artists *already* don't make a buck:  the industry
	makes a buck, and the artist makes a couple pennies.

	The very notion that bands will stop playing and authors will
	stop writing if the publishing/recording industry can't keep
	their gigantic profit margins is just ludicrous.

> Saying that writers wouldn't write without big paychecks is like
> claiming that without prostitutes, there would be no children.

	If you don't mind, I want to put this quote in a .signature file.
	Someone put this on the anti-dmca quote list.

							-Xcott