[free-sklyarov] Re:FAQ request

Mike Genin mgenin at computerra.ru
Thu Jul 19 02:31:19 PDT 2001

Hello David,

here are my thoughts about  Sklyarov situation.

But  first  -  I'm  a  Russian  lawyer, my speciality is International
Private  LAw  and  area  of  interests  include cyberlaw, intellectual
property  etc  (now I'm in doctorate). I work on Computerra Publishing
House  www.computerra.ru.  We have close relations to Elcomsoft, and I
myself gave  some counseling to both Alex and Vladimir Katalov several
times, including this case (before arrest, when all this was just
starting).

So. USA domestic law, like legislation of any other country is limited
to borders of this country. And often there is a situation, when some
action is legal in one country and illegal in other at the same time.
For example - in Russia is forbidden to have more then one wife. And
we will not arrest any Arabian sheikh for having his harem.

In Russia programs of Elcomsoft are _legal_, and moreover actions of
Adobe eBook reader is illegal, because by our copyright law any user
must have right to do backup copies of files.

But FBI accused Dmytry that he take with him in the USA program that
is  illegal  there. This is art. 17 of criminal Code part 1201 (b) (1)
(A) DCMA.

So that's the case.

--
Best regards,