[free-sklyarov] Adobe Will Talk! July 23 Sklyarov Protest on Hold

Will Doherty wild at eff.org
Fri Jul 20 12:51:12 PDT 2001

Congratulations folks!

The pressure we all have put on Adobe has resulted
in an agreement to meet with representatives from
the Electronic Frontier Foundation on this Monday
morning, July 23.

For that reason, EFF has decided to:

PUT THE JULY 23 PROTEST ON HOLD

Please help us act in good faith and postpone the
protest until we have a chance to negotiate with
Adobe.

Of course, we can always rekindle the protest if
Adobe does not agree to withdraw their complaint
to the US Department of Justice regarding Dmitry
Sklyarov and to refuse to pursue further prosecutions
under the DMCA for cases that should be prevented
under fair use provisions of US copyright law.

And also, if the US Attorney's office insists
on prosecuting Dmitry without a current complaint
from Adobe, then we will continue protests directed
at them rather than at Adobe.

If you still feel that you have to protest on
Monday, you are of course free to do so.
However, it may be a more effective use of
our collective energies to act in a coordinated
way to get Dmitry out of jail.

I am writing a media release to this effect as
soon as I sent this email to you... wanted you
all to know first.

Free Dmitry,

Will Doherty
Online Activist / Media Relations
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
Web http://www.eff.org

Electronic Frontier Foundation - Protecting rights in the digital age
-------