[free-sklyarov] Protest strategy & goals

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Sat Jul 21 17:28:25 PDT 2001

Tim Sweeney tim at epicgames.com wrote:

>"DMCA Law, Supported By Corporate Interests, Suppresses Academic Freedom
>and Deprives Consumers of their Rights" -- not just "Free The Russian
>Hacker"!  It has to be this way in order to win.
>
>Be idealistic in goals and motives, but pragmatic in strategy and =
>tactics.

I agree with you insofar as we need to state why we want to free Dmitry.

I disagree with how you are trying to justify why we need to free Dmitry.

We all know on this list that Dmitry is a security professional, also known
as a hacker, and being a security professional aka hacker is an honorable
profession. But the sheeple do not know this. They hear hacker, and they
think "Swordfish" and other Hollywood garbage.

In an ideal world, under ideal conditions, this could be a great time to
protest the DMCA. (Yes, I know, in an ideal world, we wouldn't have the
DMCA to begin with. But bear with me.) However, in the aftermath of a worm
attack on whitehouse.gov allegedly by communist hackers from China, the
public is negatively predisposed to all things communist and hackerlike. At
this juncture, it's pretty disingenious to try and repeal a US law because
it was used to convict a hacker from a country with a strong communist
heritage.

I believe we need to state that Dmitry needs to go free because he is a
consumer advocate and a scientist who exposed flaws in Adobe's product, and
exposed Adobe's fradulent claims about this flawed product. See my earlier
post to this effect.

This frames the issue in a way that avoids the dangerous hacker references.
This may not be to everyone's liking, but at a time when the public is wary
of all things communist and hackerlike due to the Chinese worm, we cannot
expect to compel the favor of public opinion by having a communist hacker
poster boy.

Thanks.
- izel