[free-sklyarov] Please relax, and read this plea for compassi on

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Mon Jul 23 10:14:57 PDT 2001

At 08:03 AM 7/23/2001 -0400, Chris Savage wrote:
>I took a stab at describing the problem to a non-cyber-oriented person of
>my acquaintance.  She was outraged that Dmitry was in jail.  Then she said
>something like, "I wonder if this is political.  I heard on NPR in the
>last six months or so about a young US citizen with a technology
>background arrested in Russia on trumped-up drug/alcohol charges, but told
>he would be released if he revealed what his company was working on."
>
>I too vaguely recall such a case.  But putting aside my recollections, (a)
>anyone know if it's true?  and (b) if it is, then this is not quite a Cold
>War phenonmenon, maybe just a "Cool War" (apologies to F. Pohl) phenomenon.

Perhaps you and your friend are thinking of Jack Tobin - see

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/world/europe/A23354-2001May13.html> or
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4188225,00.html>

or else Richard Bliss, a Qualcomm technician arrested in 1997, allegedly
for espionage, while he was using GPS equipment to survey land -

<http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/1997/Dec-17-Wed-1997/news/6614413.html>

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com