[free-sklyarov] Please relax, and read this plea for compassi on

Chris Savage chris.savage at crblaw.com
Mon Jul 23 05:03:25 PDT 2001

<snip>

>I believe that somewhere in this confusing little picture, there is a
>simple truth. A young Russian man has become trapped in a firestorm of
>controversial, untested, American legislation.... and he needs to go
>home to his family.

I took a stab at describing the problem to a non-cyber-oriented person of my
acquaintance.  She was outraged that Dmitry was in jail.  Then she said
something like, "I wonder if this is political.  I heard on NPR in the last
six months or so about a young US citizen with a technology background
arrested in Russia on trumped-up drug/alcohol charges, but told he would be
released if he revealed what his company was working on."

I too vaguely recall such a case.  But putting aside my recollections, (a)
anyone know if it's true?  and (b) if it is, then this is not quite a Cold
War phenonmenon, maybe just a "Cool War" (apologies to F. Pohl) phenomenon.

Chris S.

This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.