[free-sklyarov] Re: [nylug-talk] New York rally a success!!

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Mon Jul 23 13:03:52 PDT 2001

At 03:36 PM 7/23/01 -0400, Leonid Gorkin wrote:
>We had about 30 people in front of New York Public Library. Rally continued
>for about 2 1/2 hours. We had several signs, and distributed about 2000
>flyers. Some people stopped to discuss the issue with us.  New York Times
>reporters were there and talked with several protesters. Unfortunatelly, we
>were completely ignored by all TV media. I guess they had more interesting
>things to report

Congrats, and sorry I couldn't make it.
The public library makes a great backdrop for a protest against those who
would keep us from reading its books.

On that note, has anyone contacted the American Library Association?  The
librarians have been on the right side in fighting the DMCA, giving good
amicus briefs in Universal v. Reimerdes and comments in the Register of
Copyright's rulemaking.  They realize their custody of public knowledge is
threatened when owning a copy of a work doesn't give you an unfettered
right to read it.

 From time to time, I get updates from their Washington office with the
following contact info:

ALA Washington Office, 1301 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Suite 403,
Washington, D.C. 20004-1701; phone: 202.628.8410 or 800.941.8478
toll-free; fax: 202.628.8419; e-mail: alawash at alawash.org; Web
site: http://www.ala.org/washoff.

--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html