[free-sklyarov] Robert Mueller

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Mon Jul 23 20:53:01 PDT 2001

On Monday 23 July 2001 19:54, Izel Sulam wrote:
> Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org wrote:
> >Which means one of the next tactics should probably include a campaign to
> >make this a confirmation issue.
>
> I think we are seeing the focus of our next set of protests forming here.
>
> Our first set of protests were basically an Adobe smear campaign and they
> worked. We attracted attention to Adobe's lousy security and fradulent
> business tactics through messageboards, websites and protests. Adobe had to
> do everything in its power to control damage. They are out of the picture
> now. They were the weakest link, goodbye.
>
> The next weakest link is Mueller. He will want to be confirmed with
> absolutely no controvery surrounding his position. We must start banging
> our drums and shouting very loudly - starting NOW - that Sklyarov was
> arrested illegally even under the strictest interpretation of the DMCA. We
> must criticize Mueller for wanting to head a lawless bureau that cares
> nothing for the laws it is supposed to respect and uphold. We must make
> this incident as embarrassing for him as possible - so he will resolve it
> quickly and quietly.

I agree. And it is, really, a good confirmation issue. Will the FBI arrest
people based on the ramblings of corporate marketing departments or will they
INVESTIGATE?

I was appalled that in reading the complaint that I could NOT find any actual
reference to Dmitry "trafficking" anything. Lots about the Elcomsoft website,
the Elcomsoft ISP, the Register Now service, the Defcon 9 speech... NOTHING
about "this guy had a program that is illegal under US law and was selling it
to people."

Just all of the sudden, non-sequitur, "so he was trafficking!"

The man was arrested purely on the basis of the Adobe complaint. Will the FBI
be arresting first, investigating second, from now on? *DO* they take their
orders from the corporations?

I think it's a legitimate thing to be asking a nominee.

Not to mention that making him squirm just sounds fun. <eg>

And if Mueller wants the issue to just "go away" then he can send Dmitry home
to his family post haste.

(Actually, the issue shouldn't go away even then given that the DMCA is a bad
law and this could happen all over again next year or next month to you or me
but... well, we can worry about that after Dmitry's home with his kids).

Mark