[free-sklyarov] sf bay area channels 5&7 on San Jose protest

Ryan Marsh me at ryanmarsh.com
Mon Jul 23 22:13:31 PDT 2001

Channel 11 (San Jose) did a very good explanation of the issues. They
also interviewed me and I got to behold my ugly mug on the screen for a
brief rant.

The reporter's explanation of the DMCA was very simple and effective.
Using a normal household lock he said something to the effect of:

"If I own this lock I can do whatever I want with it. I can use it to
lock and protect my home, I can take it apart and fix it or make it
better, I can sell it, or I can even destory it if I want. It is mine.
That's not so for software under the DMCA. You don't control the access
and you can't do just anything you want with it, even though you own
it."

Oh yeah, they also said that Adobe agreed to drop the charges but that
did not mean that the DoJ would drop the case.

-ryan