[free-sklyarov] PLEASE No Mitnick Comparisons!!!

hackhawk freesk at hackhawk.net
Tue Jul 24 19:06:42 PDT 2001

I just read Declan McCullagh's article titled "Slyarov Release in Feds'
Hands", and I was a little disturbed.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be, but the following statement is a very negative
reference in my mind.
just as irate hackers once defaced websites with "Free Kevin" slogans -- a
reference to convicted
hacker-hero Kevin Mitnick -- some seem to be doing the same now with Sklyarov.

I must admit I'm not 100% familiar with the details of Kevin Mitnicks
troubles.  But I DO know he had been accused of playing games with
governement agencies and taunting them.  What got him caught was playing
games with a Security Professional who got ticked off enough to help
authorities catch him.  This is NOT the case with Dmitry at all.  I believe
that there is a far wider range of supporters for Dmitry.

- hh