[free-sklyarov] Status of SF Meeting

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Jul 26 01:35:54 PDT 2001

Begin Klepht quotation:
> Nick Moffitt is writing up a report from the meeting, which will be
> posted here soon. We have a _lot_ we want to get done in the next 5
> days, and there's a lot of work to do.

	Okay, so here's my rundown:

First of all, we all pretty much agreed that Monday, July 30 2001 is
the time to hold our next demonstration.  We also agreed that San
Francisco was the ideal place to hold the thing, since no matter which
lackey gets assigned to the case, it'll still be someone in the office
of the DA of the NDOC etc.

The plan is that we meet Monday at the Civic Center plaza (the central
square with all of the knobbly trees) at 11:30.  If the plaza is busy,
we'll gather on the steps of the SF Main Public Library And
Left-Handed Esperanto Teachers' Reading Room Hall.

We march from there to the appropriate building, and make a lot of
ruckus and hullabaloo.  In order to pull this off, we need a few
things:

1 Signs
	Thanks to Vadim and the UC Berkeley's XCF group, we will be
	hosting a Signmaking party on Sunday.  See his announcement
	for details.
2 Press calling
	The verb "volunteer" became transitive when we used it on Don
	Marti for this one.  Don, if you're not cool with this, just
	mail me off-list and we'll find someone else.
3 Press Kit/Position Paper/release
	Tabinda Khan and Kris Baakonen (apologies if, in my
	inebriation, I mistyped those) volunteered to work on this
	one.  I have friends who are PR-types, but they may be
	excruciatingly busy this weekend and unable to pitch in.
4 Stickers
	Cheers to Justin Chueng for offering to make these.  I think
	we're going for a simple sans-serif "FREE DMITRY" logo.
5 t-shirts
	I forgot who volunteered for this one.
6 Water/gatorade
	Apparently the sun-scorched desert of San Jose taught many of
	our stalwart protesters the value of hydration.  Even though
	we're going to be doing a short demonstration in foggy San
	Francisco, screaming yourself hoarse demands fluid!  Thanks to
	Evan Prodromou for allocating the $20 left over from the
	dinner pot to this purpose.
7 Calling the police
	Evan Prodromou has offered to call and make nice with the
	local constabulary.
8 Acquiring necessary amplification permits
	Since no one signed on for this, I'm giving it to Evan, since
	he offered to call the Police.

In addition to the Monday demonstration and the SUnday signmaking
party, we agreed that it would be good to canvas the BART stations.
Part of the success of this effort is the fact that we have people
everywhere fighting for our side.  A simple act such as handing out
fliers at the downtown BART stations can really spread the word
throughout the system and catch the attention of many people.

The Flier is to be based on Tabinda's original Adobe sheet, which Kris
has offered to fix up for the adobeless event being planned.  We
agreed that it should cover basic points, not get into technical
detail or tenuous analogies, and give the URL for more info.  Passing
these out at the Civic Center or Montgomery stations is a big win.

On Thursday, we'll meet at noon at City Hall at around 4:30, and then
venture to the civic center BART station.  If we have enough people,
we can send people to other stations quickly and easily.  We'll need
to coordinate the printing of these flyers NOW, though!

We'll meet again at City Hall at 8:30am on Friday to catch the morning
commute.  If any of you can canvas at prominent East Bay stations
(MacArthur?  Oakland City Center?), that would be grand, too.

Now I'll write up proper announcements for each of these events.

--
"The only thing is certain: Russian petty computer hooligans are very
slovenly, while FBI agents are very persistent in hunting them." --Pravda