[free-sklyarov] Harming American Interests

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu Jul 26 03:17:43 PDT 2001

Eric Tully wrote:

 > I think the key is that he broke American law by distributing it
 > on the Internet and then he set foot on American soil.  I mean,
 > if you're going to break American law in a way that "harms" American
 > interests, I think you *should* be arrested if you come to American
 > soil.

Um. As is probably blatantly obvious: I don't.

By that logic, I need to know US-American law better than I know
the laws of the country I live in, lest I unwittingly break
US-American law then go visit the States.

I also need to know UK law. I would like to go there one day. Oh,
and Singaporean law, in case I get a contract there. And some of
the people I work with had to go to Taiwan.

Hm. What if I need to go to both Taiwan AND China? Or Tibet and
China, or Pakistan and India, or any other pairs of nations where
the interest of one is not the interest of the other?

I think that it's a ridiculous proposition, Eric, and if you
applied it to yourself and inserted 'Russian' where you had put
'American', you would probably find yourself agreeing.

If not - then let's agree to disagree. But I -don't- agree with
that proposition, and I think it's completely infeasible in the
real world.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/