[free-sklyarov] From freesklyarov.org to ALL LOCAL ORGANIZERS

Jim Youll jim at media.mit.edu
Fri Jul 27 05:28:05 PDT 2001

Hi!

Could every city identify one or two people to liaise with us about this stuff?

1.
Many of you may have been told (I wish all) that we cannot keep up with what's happening in every city. Rather, we are asking that every city establish a local page somewhere* and send the link to free at freesklyarov.org and we'll be sure to add it.  This gives you control over your content, plus a pointer from the site...

there will be a shortcut
	http://freesklyarov.org/seattle/
and, if you are hosting on a box that can handle it, we'll add a DNS record, too:
	http://seattle.freesklyarov.org/
(need to know the IP address of the box)

There are 3 reasons for not hosting the local sites here. (1) the box is just not set up up for mega-multiuser stuff and rather than take the time to make it do that, the time is better spent on the public site, especially since home page hosting is so free/cheap everywhere these days. (2) redundancy. We don't want the whole effort wired in to one point of failure. (3) we don't want to figure out who's in charge everywhere, that's up to you

What this means, also, is that if you've got more than one link in a city (a home page, protest photos, a local mailing list) PLEASE PLEASE get together in your city and make *A* page that lists everything in one place, and we'll point to that one, even if the individual projects aren't under one roof.

If your local info is not linked from the site, send your URL to free at freesklyarov.org and I'll add it post haste.

2. The "upcoming" section at the top is for links to announcements of rallies, etc... In this case, please DO send announcements of your protests, meetings, whatever and we'll add them to the mini calendar. This is important because it gives a sense of the scope of what's going on, and probably inspires others to stay active.  Generally I'd hope the announcement could point back to your city's home page, not to another brand new page... so that you could tell me "SFO is having a protest on monday" and then I just post that, and point it to the SFO home page, and there you go.

cheers

--

http://www.media.mit.edu/~jim
research assistant . software agents group . e-markets sig

Free Dmitry Sklyarov ... http://freesklyarov.org/