[free-sklyarov] Hacker or Not?

Keith A. Glass salgak at speakeasy.net
Fri Jul 27 08:18:00 PDT 2001

The word I'd use here is "old-school hacker". . . as one who programmed
via punchtape on a TTY via a 110-baud acoustic coupler modem, and thought
punchcards were a good innovation, I have a minor right to call myself one as well <g>

> I have never broken any laws doing any of this or ever acted with the
> necessary authority. But yes I am a hacker, and proud of it. You can quote
> me Declan.
>
> A hacker is someone with a need to know how something works.  A hacker is
> someone with a need to make it work better.  A hacker is someone, who went
> the Vendor says, "Our machines can't do that!" proves them wrong.
>
> It is up to talented and aware writers like you Declan to inform the world
> that hackerdom is not composed of l33t h4k0z.

Who have managed to get the generally-accepted popular definition of "hacker"
pointed directly at them. . . damn the script kiddies, and more importantly, the mass media, for corrupting, to the general public, the old and honorable title of "hacker". . .

> Hackerdom gave us private encryption that the NSA can't break.

We hope.  As if No Such Agency would let us know if they COULD crack it...

> Hackerdom gave us a way to recovery that file you accidently deleted.
> Hackerdom wrote the first AV software.

And, alas, a hacker also generated the NEED for AV software. . . which is the
image we having to fight. . .