[free-sklyarov] Hacker or Not?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Jul 27 10:03:51 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:20:27PM -0400, Andrew Lawrence wrote:
> Yes I agree with you there. My ranting and ravings where to impress on Declan
> how much this term has become misused.  If you thought I as was trying to
> force that label on Dimitry, I apologize.  That was not my intent.

I'm familiar with the debates.

I've been on the Internet since 1988 and ran a BBS before that. I've
written assembly code and machine code, invented a cable descrambler
when I was in high school (circumventing content protection
mechanisms, I think the phrase is), written a shell, have been the
sysadmin for half a dozen websites, invented an interpreted
programming language, co-authored an IETF Internet Draft and an
article in CACM. I may not be a fulltime programmer like some folks
here, but I am a geek and perhaps a hacker, defined properly.

You folks may want to add "why Dmitry is/is not a hacker" to a FAQ.

-Declan