[free-sklyarov] What was that russian chant? (fwd)

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Fri Jul 27 12:59:13 PDT 2001

You, Vadim Kogan, were spotted writing this on Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:45:38PM -0700:
> Lemme try to give a better version for people who want to learn the sounds:
>
> Shto my* hoti'm?
> Swabo'dy Di'me!
> Kagda my* hoti'm?
  ^^^^^^stressed on the second syllable.

> Seicha's! (Pria'mo Seicha's)
>
> an apostrophe (') after a letter (or two letter in case there is no simple
> transliteration) means the accent.
>
> * I do not know how to properly show the second sound in "my". Why it looks
> like english word "my", it does not sound like it at all. Somebody with
> better background might be able to come up with appropriate notation for the
> sound.

English lacks this sound. It's reasonably close to English short [i], as in
"bit", "it", "mill". The vowel of "is" in the phrase "it is" is a passable
approximation.

FWIW, in phonetic terms it's a central high unrounded vowel.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon at pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/