[free-sklyarov] Mandatory warning labels of access restrictions

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 27 13:44:56 PDT 2001

	Hey, since some people want mandatory labeling of genetically
	modified or irradiated food, what if media required mandatory
	warning labels of any (a) usage restrictions conflicting with
	fair use, or (b) security features that may raise privacy issues?

	I don't just mean the FBI warning you see on rented movies,
	but a required warning label that this product you are about to
	buy has extra usage limitations, beyond normal expectations, and
	is has the following security features built in?

	I mean, this is easily justified:  (a), if it is a federal crime
	to use the media in a way people consider "normal," you want to
	make sure people know, so they won't break the law; and (b) if
	usage is monitored by any 3rd party, even in the form of a chip in
	your DVD player, people arguably have a right to know.

	I, personally, would want to know if something I am buying has
	any hidden security devices, such as embedded ID numbers,
	instructions ordering certain players to refuse to play or record,
	or if I will be prevented from using it in any manner I wouldn't
	normally expect.

							-S