[free-sklyarov] Splitting the List

Tony Abou-Assaleh tabouass at math.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 27 22:58:33 PDT 2001

Today was (it's already tomorrow) the first day when I deleted numerous
messages from the list without reading them.

Splitting the list sounds like a necessity. However, many of you have
demonstrated several disadvantages.

So here is an alternate solution:

Keep the list as one. Use predetermined keywords in the subject line to
indicate the nature of the email. Change the subject of the email as soon
as the contents change dramatically from the original message.

Some suggested keywords:
ANN: announcement of new local mailing lists and, protests, etc..
UPDATE: updates on the Dmitry's case including official letters.

These keywords should be removed from the subject when replying to an
email. (although RE in subject should be sufficient in most cases).

This process should facilitate the use of manual (human) and automatic
filters to select which messages and threads to read and which to ignore.

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3G1
Office:  DC2503
Phone:   (519) 888-4567 Ext. 3399
Email:   taa at acm.org