[free-sklyarov] DMCA Children's Games

James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) FreeSklyarov at ZName.com
Sat Jul 28 08:46:02 PDT 2001

>>>Any general ideas on making an Anti-DMCA/Free Dmitry booth interesting at
a street fair type thing?

In my conversations with non-tech colleagues about DMCA, I try to relate it
to things they understand. I've had some luck with books.

What if you had to pay every time you read a book?

What if a mother reading to her children had to pay every time she did?

What if a mother reading to two children had to pay twice as much?

What if it was illegal to loan your book to a friend?

What if it was illegal to buy and sell used books?

What if public libraries were outlawed?

I've also had some limited success with a public beach analogy.

The beaches are public. The public has a right to the beach. But what if
private property owners put up a fence and a sign that says you can't open
the gate unless you pay them and puts a padlock on the gate.

Do you have to pay to get access to the beach?

If you pick the lock to get access to the public beach, should you be put in
jail?

These are certainly not perfect and could use much work. But my experience
is that the public, such as those at a street fair, want and need to think
in concrete, touch, hold, feel terms. It can be difficult to do that with
"digital".

Keep us posted as to what you do.

James S. Huggins