[free-sklyarov] Send your feedback to MEMBERS of the ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAN PUBLISHERS

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Jul 29 21:28:38 PDT 2001

James S. Tyre writes:

> At 08:20 PM 7/29/2001 -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>

> >There have already been at least two calls for people to contact AAP
> >members to let them know what's going on or ask them whether they
> >actually support Dmitry Sklyarov's imprisonment.
> >
> >One of these calls was from the EFF and the other is mine, and I am
> >continuing to keep track of correspondence with publishers:
> >
> >http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/publishers.html
> >
> >I know we've got people in various universities -- come on, write your
> >university press, if it's an AAP member.  We have actual grad students
> >who could be _publishing_ through these presses sometime soon...
>

> Forget not AAP member Springer-Verlag New York, http://www.springer-ny.com/.
>
> S-V the parent is one of the leading scientific/academic publishers,
> including publishing the proceedings of many prestigious conferences
> sponsored by orgs which, unlike USENIX and ACM for example, aren't big
> enough to self-publish.  Though the parent recently was acquired by
> Bertelsmann, which has not exactly been a big DMCA opponent, there are no
> indications (so far) that S-V has backed away from its commitment to
> publish everything within its rubric which has merit, without regard to the
> DMCA.
>
> In other words, S-V NY is worth working on not only because they are an AAP
> member, but perhaps more important, to help reinforce that they should not
> be changing their own internal publication criteria to something less
> favorable to our more or less collective POV.

I am (when I have a job) a faithful Springer customer and have the
highest respect for the material they publish.  I always look forward
to the "yellow sale", and I have a Springer math and a Springer CS
catalog on my catalog shelf right now.  But I suspect that one of their
_authors_ writing to them would be better than a customer.

That's actually why I'm putting off writing to various publishers
whose customer I am... I'm hoping that an actual author may be able to
write in.

Scott Craver, your only publication that I have in a book is actually
in that Artech book, not something from Springer.  But you certainly
seem like a Springer-worthy author. :-)  Do you happen to have any
forthcoming works which would be published by them, say in LNCS or
something?  Is this an inopportune time to speculate or inquire about
whether Springer will publish your research?

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull