[free-sklyarov] just a small idea

Bob Smart bobds at blorch.org
Mon Jul 30 17:58:35 PDT 2001

On Monday 30 July 2001 09:52, you wrote:
> I think that writing individual letters is not very effectful.
> Instead, we should come up with one letter which we can call a press
> release or protest letter of the Free-Dmitry Community.

Everything I've always heard about effective activism is just the opposite:
that when companies or elected officials receive a bunch of copies of a
single form letter, they tend to DISCOUNT it.  What really gets their
attention is individual letters from distinct parties.  Two letters that are
just duplicates with different signatures show that at least those two people
were committed enough to sign their names and pay for a stamp...but two
separate letters show a higher level of commitment and carry more weight.

That's not to say mass mailings are useless.  We should do exactly as you
say: come up with a consensus letter, have local parties to gather as many
signatures as we can, and send them all in on the same day to make a dramatic
statement.  However, we must ALSO do the individual letter-writing effort, or
we reduce ourselves to the same level of credibility as all that junk mail
you throw away every day without even opening it.  It serves its purpose, but
it's no substitute for personal communication.

It's probably also not too soon to start thinking about setting up a
speaker's bureau.  At least in my area, our Big Media have mostly ignored us,
and the only reporters I've seen have been from things like trade papers.
That's good, and we need to keep in contact with those people--but
eventually, maybe Real Soon Now, even, the big news organizations are going
to notice us.  When they do, we should be ready with press packets, people
who are willing to go on talk shows and give interviews, and so forth.  We
should have lists of contact names and phone numbers for people who are
prepared to do that, so when a reporter or professional society asks for a
spokesman, we can seize the opportunity.

--

What I wrote above is hereby dedicated to the public domain and may be freely
used, in whole or in part, with or without attribution.